Spread your patriotism with this savoury snack. The Tri-coloured idli is a great way to celebrate the Gandhi Jayanti, since it is an assured hit with kid and adults at the same time. Instead of using food colours, natural ingredients make the Gujarati delicacy colorful and tasty. You don’t have to stop at this, you can experiment with various ingredients to make the dish more interesting.
Time taken: 30 min
Taste-o-meter: Slightly savoury
- Idli batter: 3 cups
- Palak puree: 1/2 cup
- Green chilli paste: 1/2 tsp
- Ginger paste: 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Oil: 2 tsp
- Grated coconut: 2 tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves: 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- White sesame seeds: 1 tsp
- Gunpowder: 1 tbsp
- Divide the idli batter in three parts to make the Tri-coloured idlis.
- For the green batter, add the palak puree, ginger paste and green chilli paste and mix well.
- For the orange batter, add the gunpowder and the red chilli powder and mix well.
- Next, on a greased plate, spread a layer of the green batter and steam it.
- When the batter turns to a fluffy texture, pour the white batter and spread it to make another layer. Steam it.
- Next, add the orange batter and steam it. When done, remove it from the heat.
- Heat the mustard seeds and coriander leaves in 1 tsp oil till it starts sputtering. Add this mixture on the idlis. Serve with a chutney of your choice.