A regular on any chaat street in India, you can never be satisfied with just one plate of Dahi Vada (atleast in my case). This Indian street food is refreshing and surprisingly, very easy on the stomach. This savoury Dahi Vada satisfies the Indian tastebuds completely, and is healthy too.
Urad Daal Dahi Vada
Time taken: 30 min
Ingredients for Vada:
Black gram (Urad daal): 1 cup
Salt to taste
Ingredients for Dahi:
Yogurt (dahi): 5 cups
Ginger, grated: 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves, finely chopped
Green chillies, chopped: 1-2
Salt to taste
Roasted cumin (jeera), ground: 2 tsp
Red chilli powder: according to taste
Tamarind chutney: 1 tbsp
Method for Vada:
- Wash the black grams and soak them overnight.
- After the soak, add it to the blender into a smooth paste and add salt to the paste (salt should be added according to taste).
- In a pan, heat oil for deep-frying. Add a spoonful of the lentil batter into the oil and fry till they are golden brown.
- Take the Vada and put it in cold water for 2-3 min. Take them out, squeeze the water out and keep aside.
Method for the Dahi:
- Whisk yogurt and little water until it is smooth.
- Keep the yogurt in the refrigerator.
- Serve the cold Vadas topped with yogurt. Add salt, red chilli powder and cumin powder.
- Add tamarind chutney and green chutney.
- Garnish with coriander. Serve the Dahi vadas chilled.