This recipe could be a cross between the Thepla and the Daal paratha. Since this is an outcome of one of my experiments and for lack of a better term, I’d like to call it the Masala Dal Chapatti. It’s not a paratha because it has no stuffing and it’s not quite a thepla too per se. I had some left over dal from the previous day and I mixed it with the chapatti dough, added a few masalas and made it like a regular chappati. Well the dal I made had some grated coconut, coriander and green chilies. If you have plain dal and if you want to try this recipe, here’s how to do it.
- 1 cup cooked left over dal
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 chopped green chili (optional)
- 6-7 sprigs of chopped coriander/cilantro leaves
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 2 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 tbsp Ghee
- Water for the dough
- In a bowl, place all the above ingredients and add some water if required and knead into a dough.
- Make equal sized balls of the dough, roll it into chapattis and cook it on the pan till both sides are done.
- As soon it’s done, pour some ghee on it.
- Serve hot with any curry/pickle.
Preparation time: 20 minutes