Red oriental beans or van payar, as it is called in Kerala, is one lentil a Malayalee will long for where ever located. There are many ways of preparing this lentil; this is one of the types I learnt to prepare, from my mother-in-law. Here this recipe is prepared with sprouted lentil, thereby enhancing the nutritional value. For that typical flavour and aroma from the Kerala cuisine, season the dish with coconut oil.
- 1 cup red oriental beans (van payar) soaked for an hour or sprouted
- 250 gm red pumpkin washed and cut into thin slices with skin
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies
- 2 red chillies
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for seasoning
- Pressure-cook the lentil and pumpkin with enough water, one slit green chilli and turmeric.
- Grind to a paste the coconut, one green chilli, and cumin seeds.
- Open the pressure cooker and mash the contents to blend well together. Add hot water till the required consistency is obtained
- Add the ground paste and salt to taste to the hot mixture.
- Heat oil and season it with mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Serve hot with steamed white/brown rice or roti.
Preparation time: 30 minutes