Cauliflower can be cooked in a number of ways. The Indian versions are often spicy, but not always. I cooked this recipe because the picture in the cookbook looked very interesting, but I guess, this definitely is not the kind of recipe for anyone with spice-loving taste buds. I found it too bland, as I love spice and salt in my food, but my husband liked it very much.
Psst… I added a little red chilli powder for myself. 😉
Cauliflower in Yoghurt
Time taken: 1.30 h
Spice-o-meter: Mildly spicy
- Finely chopped onions: 3
- Garlic cloves, crushed: 3
- Grated ginger: 1 tsp
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Plain yogurt: 1 cup (250 ml)
- Large cauliflower, broken into florets: 1
- Hot water: 2/3 cup (160 ml)
- Salt: according to taste
- Garam masala: 1 tsp
- Combine one onion in a blender/mixer with garlic, ginger, sugar and yogurt. Blend until smooth.
- Combine cauliflower, salt and yogurt mixture, and stand for atleast 1 h.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai, and add the remaining onions until golden brown.
- Add the cauliflower mixture and hot water. Simmer and cook the cauliflower with lid on for 15 min, or until the cauliflower is well-cooked. Stir-in the garam masala.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis.