I’m a smashing pumpkins fan. No, not smashing the pumpkins but rather The Smashing Pumpkins fan. And hence, when in a dull afternoon we were racking ourselves as to what dip to make, a miracle happens. The band decides to repay our faith in them by subtly suggesting to us with their song as to what we should make: Mayonaise. Hallelujah! Wasn’t this precisely what we were trying to think of- a common but ‘less known of about the making’ dip that’s both tasty and easy to create? Love them Smashin’ Pumpkins.
As a child, I used to think, making mayo would be the hardest thing in life and I bet most people right now think so too. On the contrary making mayonnaise is actually a pretty easy affair that involves some ingredients and a good blender. Sour, tangy and what a thing to have with smoked chicken and olives, we bet every one of us has a bottle in our refrigerator, which we have obliviously picked up from the supermarket, contributing to more capitalism! Pardon us, did we just deviate? You see, we like all things organic and homemade and support the same.
So, without any further ado, here’s to the new thoughtful generation a perfect recipe for making your own mayonnaise: You’ll be surprised by the bright and sunny flavor of a homemade one as compared to the store bought ones.
- Egg yolks: 2
- Salt: 3/4th teaspoon
- Powdered mustard: ½ teaspoon
- Sugar: 1/8th teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper: a pinch of
- Lemon juice or white vinegar: 4 -5 tsp
- Olive oil: 1 ½ cups
- Hot water: 5-6 teaspoon
- Beat yolk, mustard powder, salt, cayenne pepper and 1-r teaspoon in a bowl until pale and thick. To this, add 1/4th cup of olive oil and beat vigorously. Now in installments, beat in oil and lemon juice until thick. Refrigerate and use within a week. Best results come with a blender.
- Note: If you are using a blender, blend at medium speed first and the in full.
- Enjoy your homemade mayo!