Mention ‘spinach’ and one is reminded of a pure vegan dish; though ‘hara murg’ or chicken in spinach is a stray non-vegan variety. Here is a variation with chicken fingers if one is tempted to prepare an on the spot recipe, without having to have the chicken ready for it. The subtle taste of chicken fingers does not make it a heavy non-vegan dish, thus giving the eater more of the benefits from the greens.
- 1 bunch of spinach – steamed and ground to a paste
- Chicken fingers (frozen chicken fingers available at meat stores or use chicken boneless pieces) – Shallow or deep fried and cut into big cubes
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- Heat oil in thick bottom pan and add onions. Sauté till the onions turn pink.
- Add tomato, ginger-garlic paste, salt, red chilli powder and garam masala. Fry well and then add the spinach and chicken fingers. Stir-fry to coat well.
- Bring to slight boil and then cover with a lid and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Put off the flame and serve hot.
- Serves well as an accompaniment with rotis/paranthas/naans/roomali rotis or can try with rice too!
Preparation time-30 minutes
Note: If using fresh chicken, sauté along with masala and allow it to cook for required time.