This being the festive period of Durga Puja, it’s been raining sweets everywhere. My Mom-in-law being an expert in Bengali cooking introduced me to a whole new world of Bengali delicacies. One recipe that she taught me is Kalakand. Its milk based sweet and though traditionally full cream milk is thickened and used to prepare this, I learnt an easy technique of using paneer and sweet condensed milk. The results were encouraging and no sooner we had taken a shot of the finished product, than it disappeared in no time.
- Sweet condensed milk: 150 gm
- 2-3 cardamom pods (powdered)
- Paneer: 250gm
- 2 heaped tbsp Full Cream milk powder
- 2 tbsp ground Pistachio (optional)
- Mash Paneer coarsely and add milk powder to it.
- Add sweet condensed milk and mix thoroughly
- Heat the mixture in a thick bottomed pan.
- Add cardamom powder & pistachio and mix well
- Cook on medium heat with constant stirring till the mixture becomes thick (approx. 8 to 10 minutes)
- Remove from heat and spread onto a plate greased with ghee.
- Cut into squares after it cools
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Makes around 4-5 pieces