We realize that the Diwali season has come and gone. However, a wise person says that you do not need the excuse of a festive season to indulge in this classic Indian desert.Chocolate and Pistachio Barfi is often called the Indian version of chocolate cheese cake due to the barfi’s texture and appearance. If you are putting together this recipe for a special occasion, garnish the bharfi with an edible gold or silver leaf (varq) for a decorative touch.
Chocolate and Pistachio Barfi is a light and scrumptious sweet. You require great willpower to resist eating more than one of this delicious treat!
- 200g milk powder
- 150ml double cream
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 55g pistachio nuts (chopped)
- 379g / 1 can condenses milk
- 100g dark chocolate (melted)
- Gold or silver leaf
- In a mixing bowl, pour in the milk powder and double cream. Mix together till a thick and powdery paste is created.
- Heat the butter or ghee on low heat for a few minutes. Add the nutmeg and pistachio to the heated butter or ghee and allow it to simmer. Blend in the cream mixture and the condensed milk. Stir continuously. The mixture will slowly become soft and smooth. You need to carry on stirring till the mixture no longer sticks to the sides.
- Pour the mixture into a non-stick tray. Using a blunt knife, smoothen over to a 2 cm (3/4 inch) thickness.
- Spread the melted chocolate on top of the mixture.
- Set the mixture aside for it to cool till it becomes hard. Cut into square or diamond shapes.
Chocolate and Pistachio Burfi takes 20 minutes to prepare minus cooling. This easy recipe can serve 20 people. Enjoy!