Two days ago I went to the market for vegetable shopping and there sat in a huge basket, at one of the vendors, some really big, glossy, inviting capsicums. They looked so beautiful, crisp, crunchy, fresh green, with a perfectly waxed feel. They almost looked like plastic ones. I bought some of it for the sheer beauty of it. Amongst the capsicum dishes, the stuffed capsicum being my favorite, I set about making it. I almost didn’t have the heart to cut it, so perfect they looked. Anyways after clicking a few pictures of the capsicum itself, I cut it to make the dish. My Mom always makes capsicum stuffed with besan. Recently I came across a recipe of capsicum stuffed with besan, coconut and onions. So I decided to try it out. It turned out very well except for the color which has turned a little browner (as shown in the picture). I probably overcooked it by a few minutes.
- 3 big capsicums
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- A pinch turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp tamarind extract
- 1/2 tsp jaggery
- A pinch of asafetida
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- Cut capsicums into two pieces vertically.
- Dry roast gram flour on a low heat till it gives out an aroma
- Mix all the above ingredients, except oil and capsicum into a moderately dry mixture.
- Stuff the mixture into capsicum.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed or non stick pan and place the capsicums on it with the mixture facing upwards
- Cover the pan with a tight lid.
- After the bottom gets cooked upturn it so that the mixture too gets cooked evenly.
- Cook on low/medium flame overall for around 15-20mins.
- Serve hot.
Preparation time: 30mins