On relishing the Masala Masoor dal, I travelled further into the Punjabi cuisine to discover more recipes. The dish Sabziyan Lachhedar is an authentic and wonderful dish which will excite the vegans. The finely sliced vegetables add an exotic appeal and blend of colours to the dish. When treated rich, this dish, can be garnished with cottage cheese/ paneer, coriander leaves and dry fruits. Here in this recipe I have used a blend of few vegetables I had in hand. For convenience the dish can also be made with just two or three vegetables. Serve this as a side dish with rotis/naans/paranthas/phulkas and dal.
- Onion 4 – slice round
- Capsicum 2 – slice round in rings
- Carrot 2 – cut into fine thin strips
- Boiled Peas cup ½(optional)
- Potato 1 –thin strips
- Ginger 1” julienned/grated
- Lemon Juice tsp 1
- Paneer gm 25(grate for garnish)
- Oil tbsp 3
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Powder tsp 1
- Red Chilli Powder tsp 1- 1/2
- Fresh Cream cup 1/3
- Garam Masala tsp 1/2
For the wet paste:
- 1 Green chilli
- 1 piece Ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 whole pepper corns
- Grind together all the ingredients for wet paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil and add onions, sauté till brown.
- Add the ground paste and cook for 1 minute. Add ginger, carrots, peas, potatoes, capsicum and salt. Stir well.
- Now add coriander powder, garam masala/whole spice powder, red chilli powder and fresh cream. Mix well and cover to cook for few minutes.
- When done, sprinkle lemon juice over it and switch off flame.
- Just before serving, garnish by grating paneer/cottage cheese over the vegetables.
Preparation Time: 35-40 minutes
- If using orange carrots are used, clean the carrot and then dip in salted boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from water and cut into thin strips.