Dal chawal with bhindi-aloo and papad is a tasty and light combination. This dry subzi is a common preparation in many homes. The combination of bhindi which is bland in taste and potato the perfect tastemaker for any recipe, give this dish the right blend of flavour. This is how I prepare this dish; you’re welcome to share recipes made in your own style.
- 250 gm bhindi/lady’s finger
- 2-3 potatoes/aloo
- 1 onion (sliced lengthwise)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp Amchoor powder
- Salt to taste
- Wipe the lady’s finger well and cut off the tip and bottom of the vegetable. Slit lengthwise on the sides and keep aside.
- Peel and cut the potatoes lengthwise. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil and add the cumin seeds allow to splutter. Then add the onions and sauté. Tip in the bhindi/lady’s finger and potato pieces. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Sauté for few seconds, toss well in the masala till vegetable is well coated.
- Cook on low flame till vegetables are done.
- Add the amchoor powder and stir-fry on medium flame till the dish turns ‘sukha’ and the vegetables should be fried well.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes