Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday is not the only day Pancakes are relished. It is a must-have in any family that has a sweet tooth and mine is no exception. It is one of the fastest sweet dish that can be prepared impromptu. Since pancakes were originally made so as to finish off the dairy products and fat, before the beginning of the fasting period of Lent, it must contain both eggs and milk, but here is a recipe without eggs. Therefore, my Vegan friends, too, can savour their favourite pancake without guilt. The original ingredients of a pancake had their own significance; eggs for creation, flour for the staff of life, salt for wholesomeness and milk for purity.
Time taken: 1.30 h
- Maida/all purpose flour: 1 cup
- Milk: 1 cup
- Water: 1/2 cup
- Sugar: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1 pinch
- Baking powder: 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla essence: 1/2 tsp
- Put all the ingredients except oil in a vessel and beat it into a batter of pouring consistency.
- Set aside for 1 h.
- Heat a griddle, apply a little oil to it and pour a deep spoon of batter on it. Spread it on the griddle round and flat.
- Turn over when one side is done.
- Remove from the griddle when both sides are done, and serve hot.