This is a saviour dish which I stir-up when left with just carrots in stock or one of those quick cooking moments. An easy to make dish which requires less ingredients in the recipe is what most working mothers are looking for nowadays. Well this is one of them. The freshly grated carrots when seasoned give the dish a strong aroma and flavour. This basically is a South-Indian recipe, the title ‘Poriyal’ suggests that this is a dry dish seasoned with basic ingredients which add just the right flavour to the vegetable.
- 3-4 Carrots (peeled and grated)
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 2-3 Red chillies whole
- ½ tsp Urad dal/ split black gram
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp grated coconut or 1 tbsp groundnut(dry roasted and ground) powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Heat oil in a pan; add the mustard seeds and urad dal. Allow them to splutter.
- Then add the whole red chillies and curry leaves. Sauté.
- Now add the grated carrot and salt. Toss well and cover with lid to cook for few minutes.
- Before removing from flame, if required, add the grated coconut or groundnut powder.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.
Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes