This is a recipe that stems from the Goan seafood curries. The usual reaction to a crab preparation is immediate digging in. Langoustine and crab curry is guaranteed to make you go crazy over the food, cracking the crab and sucking almost every possible bit of meat from it. You are sure to love it!
The flavour within the shells of the crab is what improves the overall taste of the dish.
This recipe of Langoustine and Crab contains feeds up to 4 individuals.
Langoustine and Crab Curry
- Live crabs: 3
- Langoustines (If there is no chance of buying live shellfishes, the least you can do is to ensure that you have freshly caught stock.): 10
- Ghee: 3 tbsp
- Finely sliced shallots: 6
- Fresh curry leaves: 1 sprig of 15
- Finely chopped garlic: 5 cloves
- Grated ginger: 1 inch piece
- Seeded green chillies and sliced half down the middle: 3
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder (mild): 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk: 400 ml
- Lime to be juiced: 2
- Fresh coriander: 3tbsp
- Pepper and salt
- When you plan to cook live crabs and langoustines, the first thing you will need is a large pot of water for boiling. The crabs should be boiled for around 8 min. One minute is enough for the langoustines. Once they are done, take them out and keep them aside.
- Now take a large pan and melt the ghee. Put in the mustard seeds. As soon as they start popping, add the curry leaves and sliced shallots. Fry this for around 5 min till the shallots turn light brown and become translucent.
- Now add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, chilli powder and green chillies and stir in altogether in the pan. Allow it to cook evenly for another 2 min.
- Turn the flame down to the minimum and now add the langoustines and crabs and heat them well. Based on the starting temperature, it will take about 2-10 min. Do not leave the stove in the meantime, as the shellfish might get overcooked and there are not many things even worse than overlooked shellfish.
- Once the crab and langoustines are ready, add the coconut milk and stir it till it gets heated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer it into a serving dish, decorate with some fresh coriander leaves and serve with lime wedges.
Delicious Langoustines and Crab Curry is ready to eat!