Just as the crunchy and tasty ‘Aloo Patties/Tikkis’ contributes its share to the Indian Vegan cuisine, the chicken patties, goes on to add its share to the Non-vegetarian cuisine. The chicken patty/tikki is an excellent starter item to be on the ‘a la carte’ – be it for a birthday party, family gathering or special occasion. This dish is prepared with many variations, I have made it with a list of ingredients that I had in hand.
- Onion – ½ cup, minced
- Garlic – 2 tsp, minced
- Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chicken mince – 500 gm
- Garam masala powder/Whole spice powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- Mint leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped(optional)
- Peas – ¼ cup (boiled and mashed)
- Potato – 2 medium sized – (boiled, peeled and mashed)
- Bread – 2 slices
- Bread crumbs to coat
- Oil (little to rub on the palm of the hand)
- Salt to taste and pepper to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp(for shallow fry, if deep frying add more oil)
- 2 Eggs(for deep frying)
- Heat the oil in a kadai/pan. Fry onion, garlic and ginger till fragrant.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, chicken mince and little salt.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes. Cover and cook on low flame till the chicken is tender.
- Add garam masala/whole spice powder, peas, coriander and mint leaves.
- Stir till the excess moisture is dried.
- Break the bread into very tiny pieces and add to the chicken mixture.
- Stir well and let the mixture cool.
- Now peel the potatoes and mash them very finely into smooth mashed potatoes (almost like a paste). Add salt and pepper and knead until properly mixed.
- Divide it into equal number of portions.
- Now wash and dry your hands and rub them with little oil.
- Take each portion of potato mixture and make a ball. Now taking one at a time, gently flatten each ball into a round patty of about 1/2-inch thick and place a portion of stuffing (prepared chicken and bread mixture) in the centre and fold the edges together very finely so that mixture does not come out.
- Now very gently flatten and shape it into a 2-inch patty. Repeat the procedure for all pieces.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a non-stick pan over a low heat. Slip in the patties, not too many at a time, and pan-fry on both sides till crisp golden brown, adding oil if required, on a very low heat.
- Turn it on all sides to ensure that the edges also are browned well. Remove when done.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or mint chutney.
If deep frying:
- Shape the mixture into patties, then coat with egg and bread crumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes