Believed to have originated in Italy, Lasagne is a dish made of various layers of pasta, cheese, sauce, meat or vegetables. Trivia has it that the dish got its name from the pot in which it was cooked rather than the food itself. In a way the origins can be traced back to the Greek word which is ‘Chamber pot’. Chicken Lasagna recipe is made either from flat noodles or ripped noodles depending on preferences and tastes. Read on to learn how to make chicken lasagna at home.
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- chili powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa verde
- 6 to 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup chunky salsa, divided
- 10 to 12 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Slice the chicken breasts into thinner cutlets or strips. Season it with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- After this, sauté in the hot oil, turning frequently, cooked through for about 8 to 10 minutes. Chop the chicken and set aside.
- Take a saucepan and heat butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until bubbly. Add the milk and tomatillo salsa and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add the green onions, cilantro, and cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Heat oven to 350°. Take a 9x13x3-inch baking pan and spread in it about half of the salsa. Lay 3 lasagna noodles side-by-side over the salsa layer. Top the lasagna noodles with half of the spinach, half of the cooked chicken and half of the diced tomatoes. Spread with about 1 cup of the cheese sauce mixture.
- Repeat this with 3 more noodles, the remaining spinach, chicken and tomatoes. Spread with another 1 cup of the cheese sauce mixture. Top with the remaining noodles, then spread with the remaining salsa and the remaining cheese sauce mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Serve hot