A who’s who list of chocolate desserts cannot be complete without ‘Death by Chocolate’. There is a very good reason for this inclusion. This sinful creation packs in a whole lot of chocolate and more!
This chocolate cake is the lifeline of every chocoholic in the world. Its popularity is so great that these days you can purchase a ready-made packet mix from your local supermarket.
However, to make a killer version of this cake, you need to bake it from scratch. By taking the trouble to make it with your own hands, this chocolate cake will taste even better!
Recipe (Serves 12 people, time taken- 50 minutes):
- 225g dark semisweet chocolate
- 140g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 heaped Tbsp plain flour
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 2/3 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- 260g semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees F
- Line a 25cm cake tin with grease proof cooking paper
- Break the chocolate into small pieces, and melt over a double boiler
- Beat the eggs with sugar, mix with flour, cocoa powder, vanilla and baking powder.
- Slowly fold in the melted chocolate and butter and sour cream.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (approximately 50 minutes)
- Allow cake to cool completely. Then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before removing cake from the tin. Otherwise the cake is sticky and difficult to remove.
- Remove crust surface and rough edges before cutting horizontally to make into individual pieces.
- Heat 2/3 cup heavy cream in a pan. Remove from heat and add the chopped semisweet chocolate, stir until smooth. Then remove from heat and cool to allow it to thicken.
- Use 1/3 of the frosting in the centre, 1/3 on the top and the other 1/3 around the edges. Put cake in refrigerator for cooling. Allow the frosting to harden. The cake should be served at room temperature.
Death by chocolate is one chocolate cake that cannot be eaten meagerly. To really enjoy the unholy pleasure of eating this cake, forget about the calories in it and live for a while on the wild side!