I was inspired by a recipe that used caramelized onions and decided to throw it in with salad. I cooked some green gram. Make sure you use soak it for about 2 hours before cooking and it’ll cook well in about 3 whistles of a pressure cooker. I thought of dates as a natural sweetener and the salad tasted the best I’ve eaten with the sweet, tangy, slightly pungent combination. I love the burst of colors in salads, especially this one. I’ve also fried the onions in olive oil and it lends a wonderful character to the salad.
Ingredients in Green Gram Salad
- 1 cup boiled Green gram
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 6-7 chopped dates
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 basil leaves
Method of making Green Gram Salad:
- In a bowl, squeeze the lemon, add salt and keep it aside
- In a pan, heat some olive oil, add the chopped onion rings and some salt and keep tossing it or stirring it till it caramelizes.
- Add the cooked green gram in the bowl
- Add chopped tomatoes and dates.
- Toss it so that the lemon-salt mixes well with the green gram
- Garnish with basil leaves and onion rings and serve
Preparation time: 20 minutes