Our Indian vegetarian food has a wide array of choices when it comes to flavour and recipes. Sometimes even a simple dish can grab your attention and make you come back for more. ‘Dum Gobi’ is one of them. It is an easy, simple, tasty and ‘home sweet home’ dish. A dish one would like to come back to, like coming home, after having splurged on a long vacation and indulging in most of the meals at those exotic restaurants.
So welcome yourselves to enjoy and taste the simple zest of the dish ‘Dum Gobi’.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 6 medium sized tomatoes
- 6 medium sized onions
- 1 cup shelled and boiled peas
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 1 cup curds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala powder (whole spice powder)
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (the one which adds colour, not spice)
- 2 green chillies(if required only)
- 3 pods garlic
- A small piece of ginger
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish
(Adjust spice and quantity of ingredients according to size of cauliflower or number of servings required)
- Wash, clean and cut the lower stem and leaves of the cauliflower.
- Smear cauliflower with a little salt and steam cook with a lid on low flame, once cooked keep aside.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and onions (only half).
- Grind other half of the onions (roughly chopped) with the ingredients for masala.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cinnamon, cloves and finely chopped onions. Fry until brown.
- Add the peas and ground masala and fry well.
- Add beaten curds and tomatoes and fry well.
- Now add cauliflower and a cup of water with salt to taste.
- Cook till gravy thickens and cauliflower blends well in the gravy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot as a side dish with rotis or rice.
- The leftovers of this subzi/dish can be mashed and used as a filling for dosas as in a masala dosa.
- The leaves of the cauliflower can be used in dal preparations, just like how a vegetable in cooked in dal.
- Before cooking, dip the cauliflower florets in salt and turmeric water for sometime and then wash well. This will help kill any germs or insects in it.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes