I wanted to experiment with the bitter gourd in forms other than the stuffed version or the fried one. This recipe was an instant hit, a delicate blend of bitter-sweet-sour tastes. You adjust the amount of tamarind and jaggery as per your requirement or toss in some crushed roasted peanuts too!! This tastes good with chappatis. I even ate it with some plain rice and tomato-date chutney and it tastes equally good.
Bitter Gourd Curry
- 4 bitter gourds
- 1 large onion
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 tsp jaggery
- ½ tsp tamarind extract
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp besan
- Heat some oil in a pan and add chopped onion and curry leaves.
- Once it’s pink and cooked remove it and keep it aside
- In the same pan boil the chopped bitter gourd with salt and turmeric
- Once the bitter gourd pieces are well cooked and the water dries up add some oil and fry it
- In a mixer, blend the coconut, tamarind and jaggery.
- Add this mixture to the bitter gourd
- Add the cooked onions, besan, asafetida and adjust salt.
- Keep stirring till all the ingredients combine well
- Serve with rice or rotis.
Preparation time: 30 minutes