Bhaja in Bengali means “Fried”. Hence you have Aloo bhaja, Begun bhaja, Potol bhaja, etc. I had purchased some huge, round eggplants/brinjals and decided to try out the Begun (brinjal) bhaja. This is a side dish that can be eaten with rice and fish curry or chapattis or just as a snack. It also makes a good appetizer. The authentic method requires the eggplants to be deep-fried but I’ve shallow-fried it and it turned out equally well.
Begun Bhaja (Fried Eggplants): Bengali Style
Time taken: 15 min
- Eggplant (big-sized): 1
- Mustard oil to fry
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Cut the eggplant into 1-inch thick round slices.
- Mix salt, turmeric powder and chili powder in a plate.
- Smear the eggplant slices with this mixture and leave it for 10 min.
- Heat some oil in a pan and place the slices on it.
- Cook till both sides are brown.
- Serve hot.