“A tasty vegetable biyani with loads of love.”–Zeenat
- 400 gms. basmati rice
- 250 gms. cauliflower, cut into flowerettes
- 100 gms. green peas, shelled
- 100 gms. carrots, cut into 2.5 cm. long pieces
- 100 gms. french beans, cut into diamond shaped pieces
- 3 potatoes, cut into four pieces each
- 2 black cardamoms
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 cm. cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 tsp. shahjeera
- 3 bay leaves
- Few strands saffron
Masala for the vegetables:
- 250 g. onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup curd
- 4 tsp. chilli powder
- 3 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp. mint paste
- 1 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. coriander-cummin powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp. ghee or more
- Ghee for deep frying onions
- For the garnish:
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 capsicums, sliced
- 2 onions, fried till crisp
- Few mint leaves
To prepare the vegetables:
1. Wash the vegetables and dry them well.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the masala, well except the ghee, and marinate the vegetables in it for one hour.
3. Heat ghee and deep fry the onions till well browned. Remove from ghee.
4. When cool, grind to a paste.
5. Wash and cook the rice in double the quantity of water. When done, remove the rice and spread it in a plate.
6. Keep aside to cool.
To prepare the rice:
7. Lightly roast the saffron, powder and sprinkle over the rice.
8. Heat ghee in a kadai and season it with the whole spices.
9. Add the vegetables and saute for five minutes.
10. Add a little water and cook the vegetables till done and almost dry.
11. In a baking dish arrange alternate layers of rice and the prepared vegetables.
12. Top with garnish and bake in a moderately hot oven for 20 minutes.
Serve it with papad!!!!!!!!
Recipe Contributed By:
Time taken: 1/2 hours