We had the opportunity of working with a very cool designer who was crazy about payasam. Actually crazy would be an understatement as he was insane about payasam- note, he didn’t mind wearing rags to get free payasams in the nearby Ayappa temple! Well, brother, this might just save you some rags and early mornings. This is for you.
- Ada or rice flakes – 1 cup
- Jaggery/ Gur – 500 gm
- Coconut milk, in 3 extracts: 2,3 & 5 in 1,2,3 extract respectively
- Cardamom- 8
- Ginger powder – A pinch
- Cashew nut – 1/2 cup
- Raisins – 1/2 cup
- Ghee- if required
- Over high heat boil ada or the rice flakes and the 3rd extract of coconut milk, until cooked. Note: Stir this continuously to avoid burns or lumps.
- In another bowl, heat 2 cups of water and dissolve jaggery.
- Add jaggery to the boiling ada with second extract of coconut milk.
- Let it boil under constant stirring and add the 1st extract. Now, pour over ghee and let it simmer.
- Fry raisins and cashew nuts in very little ghee and top the bubbling payasam. Add cardamom and ginger powder and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
- Your Palada Payasam is ready!