Chicken soaked and coated in vinegar and masala, is what this dish is all about. An excellent dish recommended for those who love chicken, but detest the hassles of long hours of cooking it. This one just needs – marinating, cooking and relishing! The ground mustard powder and spices along with the vinegar, dress the chicken pieces so well, that the outburst of the aroma and flavour leads to finger-smacking…
- 1 kg Chicken (poulet) pieces
- 1 cup Vinegar/Vinaigre
- 2 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 (heaped) tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Salt to taste
- red food colouring (optional)
- Wash well and drain the water from the chicken pieces.
- In a wide bowl, marinate the chicken pieces with ¾ cup vinegar, salt, ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, mustard powder, food colouring and 2 tbsp oil.
- Let this marinate for about 6-8 hours. The chicken can also be marinated overnight and refrigerated.
- In a slow cooker or thick bottomed pan, tip in the marinated chicken pieces and add 1 tbsp of oil. Toss well till the oil starts to separate.
- Sprinkle little water and cover the chicken. Allow it to cook.
- Just keep a watch on the chicken and stir in intervals if necessary as it should not get stuck to the pan.
- When the chicken is cooked and just few minutes before taking it off the flame pour over the chicken the remaining ¼ cup of vinegar and toss well. Taste to check if the tanginess is enough, if not add more vinegar to it. As this dish is all about chicken in vinegar.
- ‘Poulet au Vinaigre’ is ready to serve with any main course.
Preparation Time: 25-30 minutes
Marinating Time: 6-8 hrs or overnight