What are we cooking today? Guava Cheese which is unlike any cheese you have had.
Not happy with the answer? We’ll tell you what Guava Cheese is. Guava Cheese is basically a semi solid, fudge like chewy fruit bar made from guava pulp and sugar: the mixture is first cooked into a jelly and then left to dry in buttered or oiled pans. Once dry, it is cut in squares and stored. Very much like the mango bar we used to have from naturo. Remember? Ah, a whiff of pure nostalgia.
Anyway, let’s get our hands sticky in this Gooey Guava Cheese recipe, shall we?
- Ripe Guava Pulp: 5 cups
- Granulated Sugar: 4 cups
- Unsalted Butter: 1 tbsp
- Take out the pulp of Guavas. It should take about 7 guavas to yield 5 cups of pulp
- How to make pulp – Cut guavas into squares. Take out the seeds by the help of a spoon or a scoop. Or you can also press it on the sieve and collect the pulp below.
- Under low heat, mix pulp and sugar and cook till it reaches a jelly consistency. When you see it’s hard to maneuver the ladle, it is done.
- Grease a tray with butter and pour the hot mixture in it.
- Let it cool down a abit and while its still warm, cut it into strips.
Slurrpy Tip: Once cooled, roll it in some icing sugar and store. They will never be sticky.