Colour and flavour is the special touch in this recipe. The spice that cuts through when you enjoy your Mexican rice is not too sharp yet just right. There is a mixed subtle flavour of the ingredients, in which the rice was tossed, giving this rice dish a slight variation from the normal seasoned/masala rice. Serve the Mexican rice with hot (red/green) chilli sauce and raita.
De Arroz de México
- Rice: 1.5 cups
- Red capsicum: 1/2
- Yellow capsicum: 1/2
- Green capsicum: 1/2
- Tomatoes: 2
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp
- Whole dried chillies: 3
- Garlic: 6-7 cloves
- Large onion: 1
- Vegetable stock (can use chicken cubes to give it a non-Vegan flavour): 2.5 cups
- Carrots grated (optional): 2
For the garnishing:
- A few red, yellow and green capsicum pieces
- Few coriander leaves/cilantro (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan; add red capsicum, chillies, tomatoes and garlic. Sauté well on high heat.
- Cool and grind this to a paste.
- Heat oil in the same pan and add onions and fry well. Then add rice fry and add ground paste, stock, salt and grated carrots.
- Cook till done, then garnish and serve.
- Take care not to add salt if using readymade vegetable stock powder/chicken cubes as they contain the same.