The recipe that I chose today is a simple, tasty, wholesome and easy to make dish. This I would say is one of my all time favourites, as a filling for masala dosa, which my Mom used to make for breakfast. I still remember, how she used to have a hard time keeping me out of the kitchen while preparing the dish, else the contents would vanish well before the rest of the family got the taste of it.
As the name suggests ‘Urulaikizhangu Podimas’ is a South Indian dish, meaning a dish of ‘Potatoes Chopped fine’. This recipe is a pick from the exquisite Pondicherry (my home town) Cuisine. This tasty and easy to make dish is a fine combination of potatoes, onions, green chillies, mustard seeds, curry leaves, ginger, roasted coconut and coriander leaves. It is served with rasam/sambar and white rice, as a filling for dosas or can be served as a side dish with rotis too!
Even till today, the aroma of this dish rings a bell in my heart and the nostalgic memories of my childhood gush through me.
Ingredients for Urulaikizhangu Podimas (Potatoes Chopped fine):
- Potatoes – ½ kilo
- Gingely Oil (Til/Sesame) – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Urad Dal ( Split Black Gram) – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – a few
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Onions -3 big, chopped fine
- Green chillies – 2 slit
- Ginger – 1 inch cut in fine strips
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp,cut fine
- Lemon – 1 tsp juice (optional)
- Coconut – half roasted without oil ( optional)
- Salt to taste.
- Pressure cook the potatoes. Cool, peel and cut into small cubes. Keep aside
- In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds and urad dal (split black gram).
- Let mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves, onions, green chillies,turmeric powder, salt and ginger.
- Fry till onions turn golden. Add potatoes and fry till golden.
- Add coriander leaves, lemon juice, roasted coconut and turn off stove.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes