Around 2 years back, I had tasted a delicious dish of stuffed tomatoes, made the Maharashtrian way, by a colleague of mine. I’ve not been in touch with her so I have not been able to get that particular recipe. But the idea of stuffed tomato caught on to me, and I decided to make it my own way. I had some paneer at home and made a stuffing of the same. It turned out to be a delicious yet simple dish, retaining the original flavor of the tomato and cottage cheese.
- 6 large firm tomatoes
- 150 gm cottage cheese
- A few sprigs of coriander/cilantro leaves (chopped)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 2 tsp oil
- Make a hole on top of each tomato and scoop out the seeds and keep it aside
- In a bowl, mix cottage cheese, salt, turmeric and coriander leaves.
- Fill the stuffing into each tomato
- In a pan, heat the oil and place the tomatoes on it and cover the lid of the pan
- Keep turning the tomatoes occasionally so that all sides cook evenly
- Even the skin of the tomatoes gets crinkled, it’s an indication that they are done
- Serve hot with chapatti/ rice
Preparation time: 20 minutes