The term “Bhurji” is to Indian cooking what “Scrambled” is to western. Its preparation and appearance are similar to scrambled eggs, the difference being the addition of sauteed chopped onions, chilies, and optional spices. Bhurji represents just the cooking method where the final product is a dry yet lightly damp in texture. Although Egg/Anda Bhurji (scrambled eggs to the rest of the world) enjoys a lot of popularity, Paneer Bhurji where cottage cheese or paneer substitutes eggs is popular amongst vegetarians. There is a lesser known bhurji made of tofu is which is what this recipe is about. The Tofu Bhurji is easy to make and bursting with taste and good health. Here’s the recipe.
• 2 cups shredded Tofu
• 1 tsp oil
• 1 onion
• 1 tomato
• ½ cup green peas (optional)
• Salt to taste
• 1 pinch Tumeric powder
• 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
• 1 tsp cumin powder
• 1 tsp coriander powder
• ½ tsp garam masala
• 2 sprigs coriander leaves.
• Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions
• Once the onions turn pink, add ginger garlic paste and stir
• Add chopped tomato and green peas and let it cook.
• Add shredded tofu, salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander and garama masala powders
• Stir well till everything blends well
• Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis
Preparation time: 20 minutes