A few assorted vegetables which I could possibly think of have been put into this zesty and healthy meal. Though all spiced up, this is a completely loveable dish. The blend of flavours and colour with a touch of sweetness from the raisins makes this so perfect to relish with any main meal. I guess this is the best, spicy, sweet and short way to just stir in those veggies which you want to give your family!
- 1 Onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Paprika (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder or use a small piece of cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Powdered cloves
- 1/4 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground dried ginger
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped
- 6 c Vegetable broth( I used spinach broth)
- 1 small Sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1 or 2 inch chunks
- 1 small Carrot, peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces or strips
- 1 medium Or 2 smallish new potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 small – medium turnip, peeled, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 Head green cabbage, cut into strips
- 1 Handful green beans, trimmed, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 2 Zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1 inch chunks (optional)
- 1 Green bell pepper(capsicum), de-seeded and cut into strips
- 1 c Cooked, drained chick-peas OR canned peas also are fine
- Stock(or leaves) of spring onions – ¾ cup – sliced round
- 2 c Couscous/Poppy seeds
- 2/3 c Raisins
- 3 tbsp Butter
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until softened, then stir in spices (all whole spices and spice powders) and cook a few moments to bring out the flavours.
- Add tomatoes, vegetables broth, sweet potato, carrot and potatoes (if using other vegetables not mentioned here, basically put in the ones which need more time to cook).
- Simmer for 15 minutes, then add remaining vegetables and simmer another 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add boiled chick-peas and remove from heat.
- Combine couscous (poppy seeds) and raisins in a large bowl or saucepan.
- Remove 2 cups of the broth from the vegetable stew and bring to a boil in a small pan. Then pour it over the couscous and raisins, cover, and let it stand for 10 minutes. Then add butter to it and fluff with a fork.
- To serve: Spread the poppy seeds and raisins mix on a platter, and ladle on the vegetables with the remaining broth in it. Serve immediately.
Prep Time: 15-20 mins
Cook Time: 35-40 mins
Note: In this recipe I have used whatever veggies I had in stock.