Its winter here and a time when one would like to have French fries, but here is something not fried or baked, but cooked to appear like it. The simple turnip too makes its appearance in the winter market, and when fresh it is a gourmet’s delight. It is a must have for those interested in keeping a watch on their waist lines while enjoying rich winter recipes.
- 4 medium size turnips sliced
- 4 tomatoes sliced
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the turmeric powder the chilli powder and stir.
- Add the tomatoes and stir till it starts cooking.
- Add the turnip, and salt. Stir and close with a lid. Keep the flame low for 5 minutes.
- Open and check the water content. Add little water if required, (most often it will not be required). Add pepper powder, stir and cook on medium flame till the water dries up.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes