This spicy and nutritious ‘Rajma’ preparation is an authentic dish from the Punjabi cuisine. It is an all time favourite of the Delhiites, this dish is relished mostly with rice, and they call it ‘Rajma-Chawal’. A popular North-Indian heavy breakfast/brunch is Puri (fluffed Indian bread) and chholey served along with rajma-chawal. The red kidney beans are a rich source of antioxidants and also contain cholesterol-lowering fibre. This thick red kidney bean curry prepared with whole spice and spice powders is prepared with a little variation in every home. Some prepare the gravy thick, while some prefer it in a thin consistency. Enjoy the taste of North-India!
- Rajma 1 (large) cup
- 2 Onions(medium size) – sliced or ground to paste
- 3 Tomatoes ( medium size) – Finely chopped or Puree
- Red chilly powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste 1 tsp
- Green-chilly paste 1 tsp
- Whole spices – 1 Cinnamon stick, 2-3 cloves, 1 Big black cardamom(moti elaichi) or use garam masala 1 tsp(powder to be added with the spice powders while cooking)
- Cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water 2 cups
- Soak rajma in boiled water for about 45 minutes or soak over night.
Pressure cook rajma with salt for15-20 minutes.
- In a pan, heat oil put in cumin seeds and whole spices and stir. When it splutters, add onions and sauté till they turn golden brown (if adding paste fry till brown). Then add the ginger-garlic paste and green chilli paste fry for few seconds.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes/tomato puree, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Fry till the masala is well done.
- Add this above stir-fried masala preparation to the cooked rajma (kidney beans). Add water and mix well.
- Simmer it to about 15 minutes or pressure cook once more for 5-7 minutes (one whistle is also enough).
- Serve the rajma preparation with hot steamed white rice or Indian flat breads.
Preparation Time: 35-40 minutes
- The longer you simmer the more the spices get into the rajma and the tastier it gets. You can alter the consistency of the gravy by adding more water.
- Rajma when soaked over night cooks faster.