Sweetly played on the palates, this pumpkin rice was a super hit for supper last night! I served it with onion raita, crispy roasted papad and bhindi subzi. Since the pumpkin does not need much time to cook it is added at the last stage of cooking. For those of you who prefer the meal spicy add more of chillies or fresh crushed pepper.
- 2 cups of basmati rice/long grain rice (washed and soaked for ½ hour)
- 2 cup of vegetable stock( I used palak/spinach water)
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of water
- 2-3 green chillies
- 2 large onions sliced
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ kg Yellow pumpkin –grated
- 1 tsp Vegetable stock powder/stock cubes
- Whole spices – 1 bay leaf, 1 black cardamom, 2-3 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick
- Salt to taste
- A few coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat ghee/oil in a thick bottomed vessel and tip in the whole spices. Then sauté onions, till they turn pinkish-brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and green chillies, fry well.
- Tip in the stock cube/stock powder and stir fry well.
- Then add the rice and stir slightly. Now pour in milk, stock and water.
- Stir and cover with lid. Allow to cook on slow fire till done.
- When the rice is just about to be done add the grated pumpkin and toss gently.
- Cover with lid and let the pumpkin cook in the steam.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with raita and papad.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes