I’m fascinated by the one-pot recipes which require just one vessel to cook one dish. It’s hassle-free, saves on time and the end result is absolutely amazing too without compromising on the taste. For women who have to balance work and home, this recipe is a short cut which has the nutrition of vegetables and well as lentil. One such dish that I often make is Pumpkin cooked in lentil. Last night for dinner I threw in some mint leaves for that refreshing aroma and taste. Here’s the simple and healthy recipe.
- ¼ kg pumpkin
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp Kitchen King masala
- 1 tbsp oil/ghee
- 1 handful mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- Wash and soak the chana dal for ½ hr before cooking.
- In a pressure cooker/ heavy bottom pan, heat some oil/ghee
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- Once they splutter, add the soaked dal and chopped pumpkin pieces
- Add salt, turmeric powder, ginger and Kitchen King masala
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles or if using a pan till the lentil is soft.
- While the dal is still hot carefull remove the lid of the pressure cooker and add the mint leaves and stir
- Serve hot with rice or rotis
Preparation time: 30 minutes