There are many dishes which are prepared with palak such as palak paneer, aloo palak, palak pakoda, palak soup etc, This simple dal palak does not take much of your time as it is usually prepared in a cooker, and palak does not take much time to cook, just that the dal has to be cooked well.
Though it is a very common dish, there are certain ingredients that are added or left out in every home. This is the way I prepare it.
- Pigeon pea (Toor dal; boiled): 1 cup
- Spinach: 1 bag
- Whole red chilies: 2
- Tomato: 2 large
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves: 1 springs
- Curry leaves: 7-8 leaves
- Garlic: 5 clove
- Green chili: 2
- Asafoetida: A pinch
- Cumin: ¼ tbsp
- Mustard: ¼ tbsp
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Onion: 1 large
- Boil toor dal and keep aside. In another pan, heat oil, add red chili, whole mustard, cumin, garlic and onions and temper for a while.
- Saute it for a while and add turmeric, asafoetida, curry leaves and chopped red chilies and cook for a minute or two.
- Follow it up with tomatoes, cook for a while and add spinach and butter.
- Once fragrant, pour your daal in it and cook until the froth dissolves. Add salt at this point.