This is an authentic recipe from a ‘working mother’ who wanted to ensure that her children got the best nutrition, especially the green leafy vegetables, in the easiest way. This dish camouflages the vegetable and gives a very appealing look and taste and hence gets the kids, asking for more.
Yes! This wholesome nutritious dish is an innovative and successful version straight from my mother-in-law’s kitchen.
As the name ‘bhaji peeth’ suggests it is prepared with any vegetable preferably leafy ones and flour (peeth). This combination could vary widely. The variety of flours used in this dish could range from a single grain to a combo. The different types of grains used are wheat, sorghum (guinea corn), millet, rice, corn, soya or even the dals (split lentils). All these items are roasted and powdered/ground for use.
The Palak- bhaji peeth simply bursts with flavour and nutrition of pure ghee, soya flour and gram flour. You can choose different types of flour according to your choice and availability, for making this dish.
- Spinach 1 bunch washed and finely chopped
- Gram flour 2 cups
- Soya flour 2tsps
- Tomatoes 2 finely chopped
- Onion 1 finely chopped
- Turmeric ½ tsp
- Mustard ½ tsp
- Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
- Oil for seasoning
- ½ tsp of pepper powder( as green chillies will not be visible in this leafy dish, it is avoided, especially when preparing it for kids)
- 1 tbsp ghee (optional for the calorie watchers)
- Heat oil for seasoning in a heavy bottom pan. When hot put in the mustard seeds to crackle.
- Add the garlic ginger paste and stir.
- Add the turmeric and onion and stir till the colour of the onion turns pale pink.
- Add the gram flour, soya flour and stir.
- Keeping the flame moderate keep on stirring till it the flour starts turning deep yellow and the aroma starts emanating.
- Now add the tomatoes and the spinach and stir well ensuring that the contents do not stick to the bottom of the vessel.
- Stir till the colour of the spinach changes and the tomato pieces soften. This indicates that your dish is done. Close the vessel with lid and serve after a few minutes .
- Just before serving pour the ghee over the dish to enhance its aroma and taste.
Preparation Time : ½ hour