Moong Dal (Green gram preparation)is one of the popular dal (lentil) dishes in India. This easy to cook bean is highly nutritious and tasty. The various lentil preparations in the Indian cuisine add colour and variety to our daily menu. The ‘Moong/Mung beans/Green bean’, besides India, is also commonly used in certain Asian countries. The green gram is again used to prepare salads, desserts, soups etc. Here is an easy and quick method to prepare Moong dal recipe.
- 1/2 cup Moong Dal ( Green Gram)
- 2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 small tomato chopped(optional)
- 3 pods of garlic-peeled(optional)
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 1 long chopped Green Chillies
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp clarified butter/ghee/oil
- 2 Curry Leaves
- Few chopped Coriander leaves
- Wash well the dal/gram. In a pressure cooker, put moong dal/green gram and water in it. Then add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Pressure cook this for up to 2 whistles and then simmer the flame for 10 minutes.
- When the dal is cooked and thick, remove from flame.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds and asafoetida (hing), let them splutter, then add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and chopped tomato in the oil and fry for a minute.
- Now add all the above prepared frying material to the dal and let it boil for a few minutes.
- Garnish moong dal with coriander leaves (if required) and serve hot with rotis or rice.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes