A lovely bunch of fresh green spinach, in the refrigerator, led me innovate this dish. In order to avoid the spinach from getting limp, I boiled it and made a puree to stock the same for further use. Just then the idea of mixing steamed white rice with the puree seemed perfect for a healthy meal. My daughter enjoyed her lunch and I felt this was a perfect way to get kids to eat veggies. The sliced omelette garnishing, added a special taste to the dish. For kids who are not used to eggs, the rice can be garnished with grated cheddar cheese.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2-3 tbsp spinach puree
- 1 Carrot diced
- 2-3 baby corns(sliced round)
- ½ cup shelled green peas
- 2-3 French beans chopped in four
- 1 small potato diced(optional)
- 8-9 florets of cauliflower
- 2 tsp ghee
- 4-5 cloves of garlic(use whole or chopped)
- Whole spices( 1 big cinnamon stick, 2 black (big) cardamoms, 6-8 whole peppercorns, 1 bay leaf)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg –whipped/beaten (add salt and pepper to taste)
- A few mint leaves
- Few coriander leaves
The mint leaves and coriander leaves should be added to the spinach while blending for puree.
- Cook the rice and keep aside. Do not over cook it should be a little grainy.
- In heavy bottomed pan heat ghee, add the chopped onions, garlic and whole spices. Sauté till you begin to get the aroma of the spices.
- Add the vegetables (peas, carrot, baby corn, potato and cauliflower) and stir. Now cover and cook for few minutes on slow flame.
- After the veggies are cooked add the cooked rice, spinach puree (with mint and coriander leaves) and salt. Mix well till the rice is well coated with the puree.
- Switch off the heat and add the lemon juice.
- On a flat pan (girdle) heat little oil and pour the whipped egg mixture to make an omelette. When done cut into pieces and garnish rice with the omelette.
- Serve hot with pickle, raita and papad.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes
- To save time when the rice is getting cooked, sauté and boil the vegetables (step two and three) and also get the spinach puree ready in advance. The puree can also be prepared and refrigerated the previous day.
- Add 1 tbsp milk to the whipped egg to make the omelette fluffy.