The staple ingredients aloo/potato, paneer/cottage cheese, matter/peas, palak/spinach etc, of the Punjabi cuisine, revolve to bring about different kinds of unique and authentic dishes. The ‘Matar Khumba curry’ is a tasty combination of green peas and mushroom in a gravy preparation. Cooked on a low flame through out, the aroma and flavour of the dish enhances during the process. This dish does not require much of oil as it is cooked on slow fire. Serve the nutritive ‘Matar Khumba curry’ with rotis or rice.
- 200 gm mushroom
- 1 cup peas
- 2 black cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- salt to taste
- 2tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 green chilli
Grind to a paste:
- 1 large onion
- 6-8 garlic flakes
- 1 piece of ginger
- Heat oil in a pan and add the black cardamom and cloves. Sauté for a minute.
- Add the onion-garlic-ginger paste and stir till golden brown.
- Remove from flame and add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Return the pan to a low flame and cook for a few seconds.
- Add 1tbsp water and add the tomato-chilli puree. Stir and cook till dry and the oil separates.
- Add the mushroom and peas. Stir and cook the peas well.
- Add water enough for gravy. Cover and cook on low flame for about 15 minutes till the peas are well cooked and oil separates.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice.
Preparation Time: 35-40 minutes