The cuisine of the desert is as exotic and rich as their cities. During my trip to this royal region I fell in love with their rich culture, the talented people so full of life and colour and their food! This recipe ‘Makai ki Subzi’ is a regular make dish in this region, as corn is extensively cultivated in Rajasthan. The golden yellow sweet corn adds a slightly sweet taste to this subzi. I love corn be it – corn on the cob, grilled and seasoned or sweet corn soup or corn halwa, I can relish them all!
- 2 cups sweet corn kernels, boiled
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ½ tsp nigella seeds/kalonji(optional)
- 1 tsp chilli finely chopped
- ½ cup curds
- 1 tsp Bengal gram flour/besan
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp coriander leaves finely chopped.
To be ground into a paste:
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp garlic grated
- Combine the curds and gram flour and whisk well and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan and add the cumin seeds and nigella seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the ground paste and chilli and sauté for 2-5 minutes over a slow flame till the mixture turns translucent
- Add the curds and gram flour mixture and mix well.
- Bring it to a boil while stirring continuously and add the turmeric powder and salt.
- Add the corn and mix well and cook for a few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot
Preparation time: 25 minutes