Laal Shaak is a much loved dish in Bengali households. Even people/kids who normally detest leafy veggies relish this. Though it is disheartening to see a big bunch of Red Amaranth leaves shrink into a few tablespoons post cooking, it is worth it. It’s usually had with plain steaming rice and dal. It is packed with nutrition, has no masalas that harm your stomach and retains the natural flavor of the leaves too. Relish!!
- 1 big bunch of Red Amaranth leaves
- 1 tbsp panch phoron
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 4-5 pods of garlic (optional)
- Wash the leaves thoroughly, chop it and keep it aside
- Heat some oil in a pan, add panch phoron
- Once it splutters, add chopped garlic.
- Add the chopped leaves and stir
- Add salt and turmeric powder and cover the pan till the leaves cook well
- Serve hot with rice
Preparation time: 30 minutes