All through the Durga Puja, we had Bhog with Laabra, a mixed vegetable dish usually served with Khichdi but which also goes well with dal & rice. It has almost the entire gamut of vegetables cooked with basic spices and with a hint of sweetness. Since I liked it, I had to try it out at home. I’ve omitted radish in my recipe because I don’t like it, but you may add since the actual recipe calls for it.
- 2 cups of the following mixed vegetables chopped into small pieces: Pumpkin, potato, cauliflower, capsicum, green peas, and eggplant.
- 1 large Tomato
- 2 Green chilies
- 1 tbsp Panch phoron (mixture of equal amounts of fennel, cumin, black cumin, mustard & fenugreek seeds)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Oil
- A bunch of chopped coriander/cilantro leaves
- Heat some oil in a pan, add panch phoron and once it splutters add all the vegetables. Add tomatoes, green chilies, salt, chili powder and turmeric and stir for a minute or two.
- Add enough water to cook the vegetables and cover the lid of the pan
- When vegetables are cooked and tender add sugar and stir again.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and laabra is ready to serve.
Preparation time: 30 minutes