The title ‘Kadancha tuvaram paruppu’ is a South Indian term (in Tamil), which means, well churned split pigeon peas. The crux of this preparation is in the thickness of the cooked lentil. The well mashed lentil gives a soft texture to the dish. This is an easy to make and quick recipe, especially when you run out of time or those moments when you are just not in the mood to cook something elaborate. Try this! The tuvar dal/split pigeon peas can also be replaced, by the red lentils/masoor dal or moong dal (dehusked split yellow bean).
- 2 cups Tuvar dal/arhar dal/split pigeon peas
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 3-4 Garlic pods – peeled and chopped
- 1 large tomato (chopped)
- 4-5 madras onions
- Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Cumin seeds(optional)
- 1/2tsp cumin powder
- Wash tuvar dal/split pigeon peas properly and soak for 1 hour in water.
- In a pressure cooker- add the lentil, about 4 cups of water, turmeric, garlic, small onions and salt (To cook lentil faster avoid salt, if adding the same put in very little).
- Cook for 2 minutes of high flame till about 2-3 whistles. Then cook on slow flame for 5-8 minutes till the lentil becomes soft and well cooked.
- When done, let it cool till the pressure is fully released.
- With a churner, mix well, the cooked lentil well till it becomes thick and looks soft and mashed.
- In pan heat oil, add cumin seeds when it splutters add the chopped tomato, cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt. Stir fry well till the oil separates and the tomato is fried well.
- Now add the churned lentil to the above tomato masalas and mix well till the masalas is blended well with the mashed lentil.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice, dosas/idlis or flat Indian breads.
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes