I find making different rice preparations the easiest option for lunch. This saves me the trouble of cooking a side dish as I prefer adding some veggies to the rice itself. Once such quick fix, if I may call it so is the Jeera rice or cumin flavored rice. I’ve added potatoes and peas to it, though you may keep that as optional. The fried cumin gives it a wonderful aroma and flavor and is good for health too.
Jeera Rice or Cumin Flavored Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 4 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Cashew nuts (optional)
- 3 black pepper corns
- 2 Bay leafs
- 1 Boiled potato (optional)
- 3 tbsp peas (optional)
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- Salt To Taste
- 2 tbsp oil.
- Cook the rice along with salt and keep it aside
- In a pan, heat some oil and add cumin, cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, cashew nuts, black pepper, chopped boiled potato and peas.
- Once it gives out an aroma and the peas get cooked, take it off the heat.
- Mix it with the rice, adjust salt and serve hot with raita.
Preparation time: 30 minutes