Last evening, we were glad to have a few friends over. Luckily I had some pre-ground spinach puree in stock and so I prepared the ‘Hara kababs’. The crispy fried spinach patties tasted yummy with tomato sauce and mustard sauce. Our guests enjoyed this snack very much. Though the deep frying option makes the process faster I opted to shallow fry the patties. This way the use of oil is less and so a once in a way treat makes you feel good!
- 500 gm spinach
- 100 gm chana dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 100 gm paneer, mashed
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 50 gm roasted chana powder
- A few cashew nuts and raisins chopped
- 20 gm chironji
- Wash the spinach and grind it in a mixer and set it aside.
- Boil the chana dal, mash it and set it aside.
- Heat some of the oil in a thick bottom pan; add the cumin and the spinach paste. Fry till it dries.
- Add the mashed chana dal and paneer and cook for a few minutes. Remove from fire and allow to cool.
- Add the salt, garam masala, and roasted chana powders and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cashew nuts, raisins and chironji.
- Make small balls out of the mixture and rollout into the shape of tikkis/patties.
- Heat oil and deep/shallow fry the tikkis.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce.
Preparation time: 30 minutes.
Makes: 12 tikkis