Here’s another recipe from the Andhra Kitchen called Gutti Vankaya or Stuffed Eggplants/Brinjals. It has a complex flavor and taste ensuing from the use of tamarind, jaggery, fenugreek seeds, coconut and peanuts. The result is just mouth-watering. Can be served with rice as well as rotis. Gutti Vankaya Ingredients:
- 6 medium sized eggplants
- 1 large onion
- 5-6 pods of garlic
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- A bunchful of coriander leaves
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp of tamarind extract
- ½ tsp of jaggery/sugar
- Slit the eggplants into 4 quarters without removing the stalk and keep it aside.
- In a pan heat some oil, add the chopped onion and garlic
- Once the onions are pink, add peanuts and grated coconut and stir for 5 minutes
- Once it cools, grind the mixture with jaggery.
- Add salt, cumin, coriander and red chili powder to this mixture.
- Now pick up each eggplant and stuff this mixture into it making sure the eggplant is held by the stalk.
- In a pan, pour some oil, add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Once they splutter, place the eggplant pieces, pour the remainig mixture, add sufficient water, tamarind extract and cook till the eggplants are cooked well
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot
Preparation time: 30 minutes