The title of this recipe takes me down memory lane. My visit, years ago, to a friend’s mushroom garden, with the baby mushrooms hanging from the thatched roof of the garden, hidden in straw bundles, and the cool air(by constant watering) is still a green memory. The blend of lovely fresh spinach and mushrooms in this dish is a perfect blend for a nutritious meal. This tasty pulao adds to the variety of rice preparations of the Indian cuisine.
- Basmati Rice – 1 Cup (soak for ½ hour )
- Spinach chopped – 300g
- Onion sliced -2
- Mushroom diced -100g
- Tomato cut into cubes – 1
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masalas/whole spice powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Garnishing – sautéed Mushrooms
For the special paste
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
- Green Chillies – 2-3
- Seed of moti elaichi/big cardamom
- Saunf/Fennel seeds – 1tsp
Method for special paste:
Mix the above ingredients and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add sliced onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add special paste and cook for 3 min, add diced mushrooms and cook till tender.
- Put in red chilli powder, garam masala/whole spice powder, salt. Add spinach and tomatoes. Stir well.
- Add rice with 1.5 cups of water (mushroom gives out water) and cook with lid on low flame till done. (Ensure rice does not over cook.)
- Garnish with sautéed mushroom.
- Serve hot with raita. (aloo raita/ bhoondi raita/pineapple raita)
Preparation Time: 25-30 minutes