The Indian subcontinent boasts of rich cultural as well as habitual diversities. The landscape, people and their food changes from northern to southern stretch of the country. The ingredients used are always fresh and grown locally, which helps every part of India get its special flavors.
Indian cuisine has spread to almost every part of the world and the Indian people have a never-ending love for curries and spices. The Indian subcontinent has long been a trade hub for their spices and condiments of different variety. The Europeans were one of the first to discover the tastebuds of traditional Indian people. And they liked it so much that they took it with them to Europe to freshen up those bland tastebuds back there.
Most of the population residing in the country are strict vegetarians. But Indian dishes also favour chicken, meat and lamb preparations, which are quite delicious. Indian fast food such as chaat and idli-dosa are also considered good nutritious alternatives to western fat-laden burgers.
Given here is a recipe for a South-Indian curry which is delicious and healthy.
- White pumpkin
- Sliced coconut
- Green chillies ( preferably 8 )
- Two red chillies
- Few curry leaves
- Tamarind paste: 1/4 tbsp
- Yogurt: 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds: 1 tbsp
- Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
- Salt as per your requirement
- Method of preparing Avial curry is very simple and hardly takes any time. You will need to cut and wash all vegetables properly.
- Cook these vegetables with little water (2cups water). Add salt and turmeric powder to the cooking vegetables.
- Grind coconut, red chillies, green chillies, cumin seeds, tamarind paste finely with yogurt. Now, add ground masala to the vegetables and allow it to cook until the flavor comes.
- Once properly cooked, garnish the curry with curry leaves and serve hot.