The previous week had a national holiday and a festive holiday too! That blessed us with a good stretch for a few days break. So we decided to go out for a short trip. The long due-break did us some good, just that holidays, have this part of them where you have to get back to the grind! Well, I’d swear, ‘home sweet home’ is the best place on earth. Having arrived home very late that night and too exhausted to cook anything elaborate I settled for the simple, easy to cook and favourite kichidi.
Ingredients for Kichidi
- 1 cup rice
- 1 ½ cup dal-soak for 20 minutes (any lentil of your choice I used Moong Dal/Yellow split bean/lentil)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tomato(chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ghee
- ½ garam masala
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 Carrot(diced in small cubes)
- 2-3 Whole red chillies
- 4-5 cups water
- Add other vegetables too: beans, peas, capsicum, potato etc…
- Wash dal and rice. In a pressure cooker put in rice, dal, haldi, salt, tomato, carrot and water. Cook for 7-10 minutes on low flame, for at least 3 or 4 whistles.
- When the pressure is released, mix well till the rice becomes a soft texture and then season it.
- For the seasoning– In a pan heat ghee, when hot add cumin seeds, garam masala and red chilli powder and whole red chillies. Stir and serve hot with papad and pickle.
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes